Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Here I am!

It's been a while since I've sat down to post any blog updates on my blogs ... It's just a busy time of the year with a garden to put to bed for winter, studio work, etc.

This Saturday a group of 6 spinners (including myself) or wannabe spinners met at my house for the first time. We met for 3 hours and we didn't cover any particular topic this time, mostly just getting to know each other, what we know and want to learn. I had mulled cider in the crockpot, Sue brought some shortbread bars and Vicki brought some brownies. I showed the spinners how I spin on a Great Wheel and using a quill attachment on an my Ashford Elizabeth wheel, Lynn showed them how to use hand cards and spinning on a Louet. We tweaked wheels and talked about various fibers, techniques, etc. Before everyone left, I gave them a quick studio tour. The 3 hours went very quickly. We plan to do this on a regular basis... And maybe I'll remember to get photos next time.

Monday is when the knitting group meets at Sweet Read coffee shop/book store (Eat a book today!). I took a sock to work on and also my Louet wheel. We had a great turnout with everyone working on various projects. One of the ladies came in wearing political campaign buttons which almost sent me running in the other direction *G* I've been bombarded with calls, mail and solicitors lately... enough! I will be glad when today (election day) is over so my phone stops ringing at all hours.

When I got back from the knitting, I received a large envelope in the mail from Cary, my Feet To Prayers sock swap partner. Inside was a pattern for toe up socks. Cary made socks using this pattern with one of my yarns and I really liked it. Will I be able to resist trying the pattern before I finish the sock I'm working on?




Also inside was a pattern for a dog sweater. Now.. I'm not big on dog sweaters. I think very few dogs actually need them. And when a customer contacts me to ask if I can spin yarn from their dog's hair, to make them a sweater, I have to shake my head. Wouldn't it just be easier to leave the dog's hair longer? But, it has happened that occasionally I've needed to sweater a dog, usually for a medical reason. And since my dogs have such thick coats, they get overheated wearing anything but light weight cotton. In the past my solution has been to buy a baby onesie in the appropriate size and then put it on them backwards so that their tail can poke out where the onesie snaps at the bottom. *G* Hey.. it works! But, if you forget to unsnap and roll up the onesie when they go out to potty, it is a problem. LOL
So Cary, I thank you and the Lhasas thank you... woof!

My pkg for my FTP swap partner should be in the mail soon. I wanted to include something special that I will be making tomorrow and then it will go in the mail.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carissa said...

What nice patterns. How sweet of Cary! I'm glad that your spinning group went well.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Hi Eve! I'm glad you like the patterns ;) And personally, I have to agree about doggie sweaters...or horses that wear blankets to keep them warm LOL! The good Lord knew how to design these creatures to survive the elements...but then again, my sheep wear coats!!!hehehe - only to keep them clean, not warm.

I just thought you might enoy the little sweater pattern...

Hugs, Cary

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home